Sunday, November 24, 2013

Paleo Cranberry Sauce


Turkey Day is near (yay) and what turkey dinner would be complete without cranberry sauce? Last year I tried to make some sweetened with applesauce and had to add stevia, well it failed miserably, it was just not sweet enough. Luckily I was not serving it to anyone. This year I am bringing it with paleo green bean casserole, and my butternut squash recipe (see earlier posts).  
I have to admit I am a huge fan of that canned jellied cranberry sauce. HUGE fan. I picked up a can at the grocery the other day and saw they all have High Fructose corn syrup. OH that's why its so good. Well yeah anyway I put it back and decided I have to get this right making my own.  Guess what, I perfected it BAM. Healthy, easy and Paleo. You're welcome.


1- 12oz package of organic cranberries, rinse and pick out any squishy ones.
3/4 cup fresh orange juice (or apple)
1 cup Organic Coconut palm sugar
 (or 1/2-3/4 c honey)
1 cinnamon stick
1 slice of an orange peel, try not to get any white part 
5 cloves
fresh grated/microplaned ginger to taste
1/4 cup toasted pecan pieces

Poke cloves into the orange peel, this allows you to pick them out easily after it boils and cools. Place all ingredients except pecans into non stick pot and boil over medium heat until the cranberries are almost all popped, about 10 minutes, yes they POP. Let it cool to room temp. Refrigerate. You can add the pecans before refrigeration, or at serving time for a better crunch factor. Enjoy!


UPDATE: I tried this and then I tried it with a 7oz package of organic cranberries, 1/2 cup honey and apple juice instead. Everything else the same. Of the 2, I liked the apple juice and honey better. I have a sweet tooth. The coconut sugar just isn't sweet enough for me, but it's still very good. You decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment