Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Year's Lucky Meal!

So every New Year since I can remember I eat the traditional lucky New Year meal on new years day. I am not from the south but I was taught to cook a lot of southern meals from colored folk, yes like the movie The Jerk, I am that guy except a girl. So I was told years ago that I would combust and my life would be a shambles the whole year if I didn't eat collard greens, which represented the dollars i would earn that year, black eyed peas for the pennies, corn bread for IDK what, and sausage, for well *wiggles eyebrows* you know..
So I googled why the cornbread and I came up with new superstitions I had never heard of, like eating 12 grapes one for each month. Who keeps adding foods to this? Overweight people who are still hungry?  Pfft I have never heard of it!  I have googled the cornbread before, it took time to find it, and I am too lazy
All I know is I need some moola and some sausage luck for sure.  I'm tryin to be good on my diet so
Voila my meal below. I got organic, no nitrates, blah blah blah...spicy Pork and Beef Andouille and sliced it up and seared em in some coconut oil. I make THE best collard greens so i really gorged myself with those sucka's. I couldn't find black eyed peas anywhere so I guess I'm really screwed? Guess I will take my chances, besides legumes are not on this diet. I had 12 grapes so I went for that instead 



Collard Greens
2 bunches of Collard Greens, stems removed cut in half
2 pieces of bacon chopped up
1 head of garlic, cleaned and cloves sliced in half
1/2 of any onion large chopped
ham hock or smoked turkey wings 
1/4-1/2 tsp red chili pepper flaked
1 tsp honey or agave
1/2 teaspoon applecider or wine vinegar
Chicken broth
sea salt to taste

Saute the bacon in large pot till brown add ham hock or turkey wings, onion and garlic and brown 1-2 minutes add red pepper flakes honey broth, vinegar, and greens. Salt to taste and stir to coat. Broth should be about 1/4-1/2 inch covering bottom of pot. Simmer for 45 minutes on medium stirring occasionally.
I also made this Gluten Free cornbread mix using coconut oil and coconut milk instead of what the package called for and added chopped jalapeno's. It was pretty meh. I think I will pass on that stuff. I mean it wasn't bad, but i wasn't trying to stop myself from gobbling it up. 
 Hope this work this year! 
Happy New Years and Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment