Sunday, January 6, 2013

Bell Pepper Brilliance


Stuffed bell peppers are one of my favorite comfort foods. So tasty and hearty especially on a cold winter's night.

 I used to make this during the week as a quick dinner before I went paleo.  I totally cheated and used meat loaf mix from PW market and grabbed some pre-done rice at the deli counter (or TJ's frozen) and mixed the 2, threw a jar of Rao's Arriabattia sauce in the bottom of the pan and voila, quick prep into the oven, so delish! The leftovers are bomb. My coworkers were always jealous when I nuked it and the smell wafted through the office. Now I use the good stuff, no more cheating! I know exactly what's in my food!

Speaking of microwaves, I want to let you know I DO NOT own a microwave. I do not believe in microwaves based on my nutritionist informing me (and reading) about how it changes the molecular structure of our food. Once I moved I never bought a new one and I am doing just fine without it. I have a toaster oven or I reheat things in a pan.

One of the problems with Paleo is finding some sort of bread crumb or rice substitute. I remember Wolfgang Puck's famous bacon wrapped meatloaf recipe. He used finely chopped mushrooms as a binder and I decided to steal that idea. I make this once a week usually because the leftovers are my favorite breakfast ever (see below).

It's really easy because most of the recipe is just throwing stuff in the food processor. I totally perfected it doing it week after week . TRUST me even if you are not paleo you will love it!
Grab 2 bowls and let's get started, this is amazingly good!

1 bowl for the meat mixture, 1 bowl for the sauce. You are going to 'doctor' up a plain can of tomato sauce, so some of the chopped ingredients go in the sauce. I have those items in BOLD italic font. You are going to spoon a tablespoon or 2 according to your taste into the sauce the rest will go into the meat mixture. The sauce will cook in the oven for awhile so no pre-cooking is necessary.

Finely chop individually a food processor:
1 large Jalapeno
2 cooked bacon slices
1/2 cup crimini mushrooms
6 baby carrots
2 small celery stalks (1 1/2 large)
1/2 small-med onion
Herbs together: 1 sprig of Rosemary, Large handful of Parsley, bunch of Thyme 5-6 large sprigs
1 small cooked sweet potato (leftover baked or cut n boil raw in salted water approx 10 minutes)
1 tablespoons crushed garlic
1 egg
1 Package (1lb) of Grass Fed Beef
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
generous sprinkle of Mrs Dash spicy (optional)

Mix well and stuff into peppers

For the Sauce:
1- 15 oz can tomato sauce
8 crimini mushrooms sliced
3/4 head of garlic peeled cloves and thick sliced
1/2- 3/4 tablespoon red pepper flakes-to taste

Add some of the chopped:
herbs
onion
celery
carrot
mushroom

Cover with foil and cook peppers at 375 for 45 minutes. Let rest covered for 15 minutes.
Spoon sauce over peppers when serving. Enjoy the guilt free comfort!



 Now, for my awesome favorite Paleo breakfast ever! I cut a leftover pepper in half and reheat it covered in a non stick pan with the sauce a few minutes. Then I add 2 eggs, which basically poach in the sauce. HEAVEN!


No comments:

Post a Comment